Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bond, Booze, and Basketball

Saw the new bond movie on Sunday, I enjoyed it. It was delightful break from teaching myself to play chess well. On the other hanв it disappointed me. I believe that the movie had the potential to be as good as Casino Royale (if it had tried - instead of being a Bond movie - to be a psychological profile), but the characted development and motivations of the villains was week and Bond's obsession with Vesper insufficient to drive the plot satisfactorily. That said, I watched the movie in Russian, I may have missed a few things, but on the whole I think I'm right...and the movie was short, too. I couldn't believe that it was over soo quick, maybe I'm just used to 2.5 hour epics now.

The past two days we've gotten together after class to snack, booze a bit, watch movies, listen to music, and go to basketball matches, which cost all of two dollars to attend...YAY. It's not bad quality basketball, inasmuch as I'm capable of recognizing quality and it's a nice break from traditionally Russian things.

Beyond that, the internship that I had given up hopу on apparently decided that it was ok to take an American, so I might have 5 weeks working at a former state enterprise. Kinda cool. The alleged option if that didn't work out was Phillip Morris...I don't honestly think I could have said no to such a silly option...and tobacco is legit business here. But morally it's sketchy.

This weekend we're heading to Listvyanko to see the seals and drink a little bit...maybe hit a banya. TTFN!

Oh...and the government needs to learn to use the internet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Patrick, whether you saw the Bond movie in Russian or English, your synopsis is correct- it was not as good or as interesting as 'Casino Royale'. Based on your blog, it sounds like the next villian could be in one of the locations of your travels. Glad to see you are surviving- sounds like the trip to Mongolia qualifies as a Scouting High Adventure trip. Best wishes,
Matt