Friday, January 2, 2009

Moscow

Now that David headed of to Finland, I'm on my own hanging out in Mocsow until Sunday...but it's sort of a strange city...I mean it makes me uncomfortable at times. First off on New Year's Eve David and I had some time to burn and went to this place called the All-Russia Exhibition Center(the metro stops have it as the All-Coyuz Economic Exhibition Center), it's on about the scale of...I dunno Frontierland in Disney (maybe a bit bigger) - it's got rides and fountains that presumable function in warmer weather and a bunch of over the top Soviet exhibition pavilions which are supposed to contain various types of exhibitions (one advertised live sharks!). But inside of all these quasi-beautiful buildings the exhibitions take up only 20% of the used space, rather cheesy strip malls dominate! We even found one selling cowboy boots and Confederate flags! In it's defense it has Gagarin's rocket...which is badass.

Other strange things involve Russians asking me for directions (which happened about 5 5 times today) and the Pushkin Museum - which has all the classics of Western art in it...in copied format. So I no longer need to go to Italy see Michelangelo's sculptures and such.

Moscow police are fun too! They stopped me for taking a picture of the US Embassy - apparently illegal - which in retrospect I ought to have expected...but so far they haven't demanded bribes (probably because I've got a nifty passport and am not effectively mute)...which saves me money. One of the guys in our hostel claims he has to bribe everybody...but he's short, badly shaven and doesn't speak Russian...so it's his fault entirely.

Anyway, Happy New Years' everybody!

No comments: